[Tig] Paramount calls time on 35mm

liao_zd at foxmail.com liao_zd at foxmail.com
Wed Jan 22 15:25:53 GMT 2014

No film is captured by film in China anymore, since around the end of 2012. No film print release anymore, all are DCPs.

Technicolor Beijing
Liao Zhuodi

liao_zd at foxmail.com

From: Cem Ozkilicci
Date: 2014-01-22 07:10
To: Jean-Clement Soret; Paul Korver; Jeff Booth
CC: tig at colorist.org
Subject: Re: [Tig] Paramount calls time on 35mm
Support from Digital Vision www.digitalvision.tv
Support from MediaCloud www.MediaCloud.cc
=====

I agree with Jean-Clement. Acquisition is one thing, but I believe delivery is far more cost effective and prone to less wear and tear, leading to a better viewer experience, as long as there are no mess ups with the silver screen or 3d setup.

Cheers!

C.

Cem
Colourist / Storyline
Oslo

Support from Digital Vision www.digitalvision.tv
Support from MediaCloud www.MediaCloud.cc
=====

Why would studios bother with film prints, they are expensive to make and deliver, digital projection is pretty good anyway. The article suggest that 35mm is all gone, well...not for acquisition a number of DP's and directors are not convinced that digital is always better, they are right. Captain Phillips, Mandela (I graded that one) and a few others were shot on film and it really shows on the screen.

MPC London
Jean-Clement Soret | Global Creative Director of Colour Grading
127 Wardour Street, Soho, London, W1F 0NL
T +44 207 434 3100
London - New York - Los Angeles - Vancouver - Bangalore - Montreal - Amsterdam - Mexico

From: Paul Korver [paul at cinelicious.tv]

What I find deceptive about this article and the one in Variety discussing "the end of film" is that, while yes, the end of distributing on film is nigh, shooting on film (where "the beauty of film" is acquired) is alive and well and seeing a resurgence.