[Tig] Down with 4x3!

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Tue May 31 05:50:16 BST 2011

On 5/30/11 10:43 AM, "Bob Kertesz" <bob at bluescreen.com> wrote on the TIG
mailing list:

> I pulled the DP and the production company producer aside and detailed the
> awful thing that was about to be done. They were not happy, but essentially
> powerless to change the workflow. I tried one more time to have a talk with
> the network producer, but he insisted that they did this all the time and it
> would be fine. So we shot the best images we could with the top end gear we
> had, and handed off the tapes.

There's not much worse in Hollywood than an ignorant person in a position of
power.  Sad.

I'd like to ask the promo producer if the SHOW is aired the same way.  I
suspect it's broadcast in normal 16x9.  So the question would be, "why
shouldn't the promos look as good as the actual show?"

It's amazing to me that we have strict technical standards for peak video
levels, for noise, for dialog levels, and all that stuff, but nothing that
says, "don't make all the actors look 25% fatter by stretching the picture."

--Marc W.