[Tig] Prores decode and encode finally in FFMPEG

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Sun Dec 18 18:21:56 GMT 2011

>I just discovered that as of Oct 29 FFMPEG (Git) has support for encoding
>files to Apple Prores format.

>This is very good news for our Filmstore (online archive) that uses ffmpeg
>for encoding/decoding. I'm sure many of you will also enjoy this!

I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating:

Having large portions of the industry standardize on a proprietary file format
owned and controlled by a company (Apple) which has repeatedly shown it's
disdain and disregard for the pro production and post community is a really,
really bad idea.

We need to adopt something in the public domain and/or open source going
forward, not something which can disappear tomorrow. And while it's painfully
apparent that quality isn't the priority it used to be, a format with less
compression would be good.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

DIT and Video Controller extraordinaire.
The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE® compositing.©

High quality images for more than three decades - whether you've wanted them or not.©