[Tig] LCD Monitor

Janet Falcon janet at shootersinc.com
Wed Jun 23 21:22:29 BST 2010

If anyone has thoughts on the monitors listed below, please post to
the entire group!
We just had to replace our CRT, and we had a Cinetal in house, so that
is what we are using, for now.  It has plusses and minuses.
A big positive (compared to the CRT) is the full gamut mode, and being
able to apply factory, or custom LUTs.    We have had an issue with
the full gamut mode looking pink and after speaking to Cinetal, they
told us it was a software problem, but after an upgrade, we are still
in the same boat.  Luckily that monitor is currently being used in our
commercial suite, so we are using gamut controlled, Rec. 709 mode, so
it has not been a huge issue.  I also think it's gamma setting is a
lot closer to what the general population is seeing at home on their
LCD's and Plasmas.

The biggest problems I have with the monitor are: 1. The viewing angle
is really bad, I have clients lining up behind me to properly judge
the picture. 2. Standard Def looks awful unless the scan size is tiny.
3. When the blacks and whites reach their limits (crushed or clipped)
they seem to pick up strange shades that I cannot find on my scopes.
The blacks can also tend to look noisy.

SHOOTERS POST & TRANSFER
THE CURTIS CENTER SUITE 1050 INDEPENDENCE SQUARE WEST PHILADELPHIA,
PA  19106
SHOOTERSINC.COM     215-861-0100     THE-DIVE.NET

JANET FALCON - SENIOR COLORIST