[Tig] Inconsistent video setup

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Feb 24 18:05:07 GMT 2010

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, David Mackenzie wrote:

> Bob, just to make sure, you don't have any of the Dynamic Contrast
> controls that TVs ship with turned on, do you?

Unfortunately, with this model of Samsung TV it is not possible to
turn off the dNIE crap contrast enhancement mode without going into
the service menu and entering an undocumented hex code.  I don't know
how to do that.  The so called contrast-enhancement surely causes
issues, and the set's demo mode shows a clear lie in that the supposed
unenhanced section obviously has a low-pass filter applied.

When I previously had this TV professionally calibrated, the
calibration guy did know how to turn off the contrast enhancement and
the picture was fantastic and stable.  Since then, the DLP light
engine was replaced on this set and the calibration settings were
necessarily lost.  It is very difficult to find ISF-certified
calibrators willing to come out and calibrate a display that they did
not sell, and especially since most home theater vendors have now gone
out of business.  I will try to do so again.

Without a proper pluge via HDMI (why do set top boxes not include
this?), with automatic contrast "enhancement" still enabled in the
set, and with considerable black level detail still existing in some
video well below the reference black-point, it is not clear how a
consumer is supposed to adjust their TV for proper viewing.

The TV does still operate pretty well with DVDs and have done
extensive testing of it with various test patterns from the Digital
Video Essentials DVD.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn