[Tig] where.. neutral review RED?

Marc Wielage mfw at musictrax.com
Sun Sep 13 06:48:30 BST 2009

On 9/12/09 9:51 PM, "Rob Lingelbach" <rob at colorist.org> wrote:

> I wouldn't berate the point except to say that I found the
> difference substantial.

Rob
disclaimer: I am not compensated
> in any way by RED or ARRI.
>------------------------------<snip>------------------------------<

My experience is exactly the same to Rob's, based on doing final color on
two large-budget D21 projects this year, and quite a few Red projects over
the last couple of years.  I think the blacks and highlights hold up better
on the Arri, and I also think it looks sharper overall.

Four good references I would recommend:

RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera
by Noah Kadner
published by Peachpit Press [ISBN #0321617681]

(more a general guide to producers and post people using the Red)

plus John Galt's technical white paper report:

"The Truth About 2K, 4K, and the Future of Pixels"

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/the-truth-about-2k-4k-the-future-of-
pixels

as well as Rian Johnson's report

"Red Facts: Straight Talk on the Technical Realities of the Red Camera"

http://www.rcjohnso.com/REDFACTS.html

and Daron Keet's comparison

"The Red One Camera -- Through the Crosshairs of my Eyepiece"

http://www.postmagazine.com/Media/PublicationsArticle/RED%20vs%2035mm%20Daro
n%20Keet.doc

I think the bottom line is that the Red camera is definitely "good enough"
for a lot of productions (as witnessed by recent theatrical films like
KNOWING, DISTRICT 9, and THE ), and most audiences can't tell the
difference.  But film-savvy DPs and colorists will definitely see the
limitations of the pickup.  No way is it the equivalent of 35mm film.

I take exception to the opinion that the Red can capture 11 stops of
latitude.  I think it might be 5 or 6 stops -- at best -- and even then, I
think DPs have to use a little more fill and watch the highlights much more
carefully than they would with film.  I believe that digital cameras are
harder to light for than film, because they're much less forgiving with
exposure problems.

Again, I'm not slamming the camera, because I think in the hands of a good
DP, the Red is capable of making good pictures.  Like any medium, it's all
about the quality of the lighting and lenses, and the skill of the person
using them.

--Marc Wielage
  Cinesound/LA