[Tig] There was a discussion about naming colors

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Tue Jul 14 06:05:46 BST 2009

On Jul 13, 2009, at 8:19 PM, Steve Hullfish wrote:

> Here's an easy website to find a color and know its "official name."
>
> http://chir.ag/projects/name-that-color/

This is a great find Steve.  I'm going to play around with the
javascript and see if I
can recreate the more extensive "Color Name & Hue" tool by D. Flueck,
referenced
at the above URL, which is even better but apparently proprietary.

I don't believe there are any 'official' names for colors, in fact
that's why the study
of them is so interesting.   Your yellow may be different than my
yellow, and then
to consider color names like "harlequin," is to enter the realm of
imagination.  One
composer's idea of a flute sound can be quite different from
another's, to offer an
analogy.

Rob
--