[Tig] what are we going to do (monitors)

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Fri Mar 28 23:12:44 GMT 2008

>> Digital was supposed to mean "bulletproof"; ie what goes in is what
>> comes out.... but its starting to shape up as... I dunno what it is  anymore...
>> codec, colorspace, LUTmap, gamma.... could be anything, its just a
>> bag of data, maybe mis-identified, maybe mis-interpreted.

And when they hand you that pile of dog barf in a file, and you ask "How was
this made? What codec? What bit depth? Mac or PC?" and you get a blank stare
followed by the phrase "Dude, it's digital. It plays back on my laptop."

>I would think that somebody could come up with (and perhaps already
>has) a "Display-Workflow Monitoring Checklist" that would provide a
>functioning model for monitoring and digitizing linearity, such that
>we could try to keep the variables to a minimum.  But it may be
>Herculean in nature, this task.

Coming up with something like that may be difficult, but getting people to use
it will be impossible. The digital hype is that the stuff is easy to use and
universal in nature, with no interchange issues.

Forcing people to actually conform to preset standards or workflow is so last
century.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTEĀ® compositing.