[Tig] 2X1 SD HD-SDI switch?

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Thu Mar 20 21:54:37 GMT 2008

> Cue advertising free for all !!!
>
> Graham Collett
> Sprockets(telecine) Ltd
> www.sprockets-telecine.co.uk

Hi Graham, and the TIG,  I was thinking along the same lines.

To be delicate about this, because we want everyone who is involved in
the TIG to stay involved, there have been guidelines in place for many
years, and the recent posts have come close- within a whisker- of
being beyond acceptable.  I thought though that they were whisker-
compliant: acceptable, though see below.

First point would be that, with a large list of now 1600+ subscribers,
and with a nod to the lessons of Usenet in the 80s and 90s, it is best
for all involved, when messages end up in your inbox, to limit what
could be considered spam.  We want the TIG to be free of marketing,
free of advertising/spam, to the extent possible.   I'll leave that
definition dormant for now and consider the recent postings, to which
the following information applies; please, note that when in doubt as
to the appropriateness of a posting, send it to me first, and I'll
recommend the action suitable for its provenance.

Here are the guidelines as stated on the TIG Notes on Advertising.
http://www.colorist.org/wiki3/index.php/Notes_on_TIG_Advertising

	• Notes on TIG Advertising
This is lifted directly from a message to the main TIG mailinglist, to
be found also in the archives.
There has been some renewed confusion on the TIG regarding the
policies on advertising/marketing. This question comes up periodically
and is worth revisiting.
Advertising is not permitted on the main TIG mailinglist. If, in your
zeal for a particular product, you want to deflect impressions of
impropriety, disclaim your message at the end, e.g.: "I am not in the
employ or service of the manufacturer(s) above". Advertising by
manufacturer/vendors who have contributed to the TIG is permitted on
the tig-announce list (send postings to rob (at) colorist.org); this
is a digested mailinglist published every three days or so, and sent
to TIG subscribers.
Manufacturers and vendors have participated in the TIG since shortly
after it started in 1992. It was, at that time, a controversial change
to allow them in, as it tended to stifle the exchanges we had been
having in complaining about equipment. But the consensus was that the
benefits were worth it, and this has been proved. If one looks at the
way Usenet functions (Usenet being a distributed conferencing system
similar to the TIG and TIG/wiki), the professional groups have not
allowed advertising and by self-policing or in some cases moderation
insisted that a post that gives seemingly self-serving advice be
disclaimed such that the author is not financially connected directly
with the products or services being offered. Another example of an
unbiased network is the Public Broadcasting System in the US, which
keeps advertising limited to simple statements, such as what the main
TIG mailinglist includes at the top of every message, the
"contributor's credit."
In 1995 or so, we (the group) decided to allow advertising but not on
the main mailinglist, instead on a separate "tig-announce" digest that
would be sent out to all TIG subscribers separately, so they could
keep a division in their mail between marketing and the main,
original, information-based list. This has worked well over the years
but has perhaps been underused. The only requirement for participation
by a manufacturer/vendor in the tig-announce digest is a contribution
to the TIG, and this contribution has no strict lower limit, and can
be scaled to work with budgets. This is a difference between some
other internet-based groups and the TIG.
A couple of years after the tig-announce digest was started, we
created a wiki, (originally it ran TWiki software) which has gone
through three main iterations. The wiki can be used by any registered
user as a "pull" type of mechanism (as opposed to the TIG
mailinglist's "push" model) so large files, images, commercial
announcements, etc. can be web-based. It was originally thought that
this might replace the mailinglist, but email remains the primary
means of communication on the net, though as a primary it has been
diluted significantly by spam. Spam has in its turn spawned antispam
software which is an industry in its own right; if one thinks
seriously about this it becomes clear that the antispam industry
depends on the proliferation of spam for its income, so the two are in
a sycophantic relationship, or have an inherently strong mutual
interest. The same is true of viruses and anti-virus software...
I mention the spam/virus factor to illustrate why the TIG tries to
keep its main mailinglist commercial-free, and to use the annexed tig-
announce mailinglist for commercial/marketing posts.
Private, individual "For Sale," "Wanted," "Jobs Offered," and
"Positions Desired" postings are accepted on an individual basis, and
go out to the main list, sometimes after a contribution (in the case
of For Sale ads) but often not (in the other cases). These are
distinct private-party classifieds. The example of newspapers'
classifieds sections is appropriate here; in the USA, private party
ads come under different rules than those from dealers and
manufacturers.
The last point is perhaps the most important: when a subscriber to the
TIG needs information from a manufacturer, or help, or input of any
kind, the manufacturer has two choices in how to respond: privately,
or publicly on the mailinglist. Private responses are not in any way
regulated by TIG rules. Public list-based responses are regulated by
these simple rules: marketing is not allowed, in the sense of
statements something like "See what we're offering this year at booth
xxxx we have just what you're looking for" and personal abuse is not
allowed. These rules are designed to keep the integrity of the TIG as
high as possible, given that we're all human and make mistakes.. a
further quasi-standards-based TIG etiquette guide is available at
Guide to TIG Etiquette
Another analogy to how the TIG works can be found in the publishing of
magazines. There exist magazines such as the SMPTE journal, and
magazines such as Film and Video (it does still exist?). The former is
commercial-free, the latter sometimes (often) functions as a PR organ
for companies and vendors. Both are valuable, but the TIG fits
somewhere between and closer to the SMPTE model, in shunting any
marketing over to its supplemental tig- announce section.
--Rob Lingelbach 20:12, 21 March 2007 (PDT)

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org  http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html