[Tig] NEF (Nikon raw) to TIFF, then cinepaint, jpg result.

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Sat Mar 15 20:29:55 GMT 2008

I've posted two images to movieeditor.com, and hope Robin can advise
the URL for downloading, but until then for a little while they're
available as noted below.  The .NEF file is straight from the
camera.   The .jpg is the result of converting the NEF to TIFF and
then using Cinepaint.  The process of conversion is not overly simple,
nor too complex, once understood.   The work with Cinepaint took 5
minutes.   I'm very happy with the results and now have a proper
workflow using open source.   Robin Rowe, Kai-Uwe, Frank Peters, Tom
Huffman, and Eric Robinson helped me substantially in getting
Cinepaint up and running on OS X Intel.  Frank's work in colorspace
conversion should be made available to the community, a pipeline run
from a script he wrote.

these images are owned by me and are not to be distributed to the
public without my permission, thank you.

http://www.colorist.org/images/DSC_0427.NEF
(the camera raw file, about 5 MB)

http://www.colorist.org/images/DSC_0427.cp2.jpg
(the final jpg)