[Tig] Fwd: [CinePaint] jpg worse

Dick Hobbs dick at hobbsonline.tv
Sat Mar 15 11:06:13 GMT 2008

My understanding is that while JPEG2000 uses technology proprietary to
a number of companies, a license is required to use it but that this
licence is "revenue-free".

So it is not cost that is preventing the take-up. Word reaching me is
that the reason take-up is slower than might be expected for a really
useful compression scheme is that it is very processor intensive to
code.

Dick

Dick Hobbs
Consultant and writer on television and film technology
+44 1435 830988
Skype DickHobbs
dick at hobbsonline.tv