[Tig] jpg vs tiff, (OT), Glenn Chan

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Mar 12 16:18:33 GMT 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

>> If you are viewing the result on an 8-bit (or less) computer display,
>
> what is the spec of the display on a MacBook Pro? (non-glossy)

The spec is "terrible to worse". :-)

I have read a number of detailed reviews of laptop displays (including
various Macs) and invariably it seems that laptop displays suffer
considerably compared with good quality desktop LCD displays.  Laptop
displays have space and power contraints that desktop displays don't
have.  A good quality desktop LCD display should give you the full 8
useful bits.  A laptop display will pretend to be 8 bits but will
actually deliver considerably less.

The solution is to plug your laptop into a decent display.

> I'll look into the various iterations of The Gimp's importation options,
> hadn't thought of that.

With CinePaint, the Bayer filters are applied external to CinePaint
but the image is still brought in as a deep linear-light image so
nothing is lost (other than to the filters).  With Gimp, the Bayer
filtering and bit (detail?) reduction is done external to the Gimp so
you need to be able to try different options (rinse and repeat) until
you are satisified with the result.  The result represents viewing the
image a particular way, similar to the way you view the deeper image
in CinePaint on a low-depth computer display.  Obviously, the
CinePaint approach provides quite a lot more flexibility and is
capable of preserving much more of the original camera image.  If you
save your image to OpenEXR format, 16-bit TIFF, or even log-encoded
10-bit DPX, then there is opportunity to usefully adjust it later.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn