[Tig] jpg vs tiff, (OT), Glenn Chan

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Wed Mar 12 15:47:58 GMT 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 5:34 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> I think that you are comparing apples to oranges.  Detail is
> primarily dependent on supported frequency response (i.e. filters &
> sampling frequency), which has little to do with bit depth.

then that's the answer I was looking for, thanks Bob.  Apples and
oranges come in many varieties, so I would ask are they navel/? or
MacIntosh/?

> If you are viewing the result on an 8-bit (or less) computer display,

what is the spec of the display on a MacBook Pro? (non-glossy)

> Since GIMP only supports 8-bits internally, everything must be done
> while importing from RAW to 8-bit format (likely outside of GIMP
> using something like dcraw), with very little opportunity to improve
> things after the import is done.  With GIMP you would likely have to
> try several import iterations until you are happy with what has been
> imported.

I'll look into the various iterations of The Gimp's importation
options, hadn't thought of that.

> While I certainly agree that print and film require more depth, you
> are once again comparing apples to oranges.

so sorry, hadn't mean to do that.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org  http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html