[Tig] the end of wysiwyg?

Tristan La Fontaine tristan at fsm.com.au
Fri Mar 7 23:11:45 GMT 2008

We've been doing a lot of testing of broadcast LCD monitors in one of
our suites side by side with 24" HD sony from a few different
manufactures ...not for the purpose of replacing the 24" in the
grading suites but for use in the flame/smoke suites.
Obviously some are better than others but the overall colorometry on
most of them were pretty close apart from the muddy blacks and noise.
But the interesting thing has been that the LCD's didnt "track" to
the CRT in that the reds were very close but the blues would be more
cyan. I know a lot of people have done these same tests, so it made
me wonder if the phosphor of the CRT is what was wrong and the LCD
has better uniformity across the spectrum.
Having said all that, regardless of what kind of monitoring you're
using, there has to be some form of calibration as a reference to
what you're looking at. If the CRT is correct, it may appear
different on a plasma or LCD. But if the blacks are wrong, and half
the monitor is green while the other half is magenta, what's the
result down the line?

Regards,
Tristan La Fontaine
FSM, Sydney