[Tig] the end of wysiwyg?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Mar 7 22:50:10 GMT 2008

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008, Jack James wrote:
> Is it really worth agonising about calibration to the extent we used
> to, or is lining up a display so that 709 "looks right" going to be
> good enough?

Jack,

I think that you already know the answer to this question.  NTSC TVs
("Never The Same Color") already suffered from accuracy issues.  The
only thing that has changed is that now there are many more technical
choices for the consumer and different issues for the professional.
While it may be that the reasons for inaccuracy in consumer devices
(and professional devices) has changed, there is still only one
correct calibration for display devices.  It is still necessary to
calibrate to Rec 709 for HD content.

Now that people are purchasing TVs that claim to offer "wide gamut",
correct source content is even more important since wrong levels will
produce whacky colors never seen before on TVs.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn