[Tig] the end of wysiwyg?

Jack James jack at surrealroad.com
Fri Mar 7 20:49:30 GMT 2008

Just had an interesting conversation with someone who said that
monitor calibration is "almost a pointless thing to do these days".
He explained that two things have happened in terms of monitoring. The
first is the diminishing prevalence of grade 1 CRT monitors at
facilities. The second is that consumers have so much choice in the
type of display now, that not only are people watching things on
uncalibrated displays (as they always have), but that there is so much
difference between the display types (LED, LCD, plasma, etc), that
even if they were calibrated to some standard, there would still be
large differences.
This rang true with me, not least of all because I often hear
engineers complaining that there's no "right" way to line up the
different sorts of displays, but I was wondering what you guys thought
about all this?
For theatrical release, this doesn't apply, and to some extent
broadcast departments have some sort of specification, but what about
straight to DVD stuff? Is it really worth agonising about calibration
to the extent we used to, or is lining up a display so that 709 "looks
right" going to be good enough?

Jack
---
Surreal Road