[Tig] Old EDL Files on 8-Inch Floppy Disks

DCFWTX at aol.com DCFWTX at aol.com
Wed Mar 5 15:11:04 GMT 2008

In a message dated 3/5/2008 1:28:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dental.demolition at gmail.com writes:

> I've got a set of 8" floppies containing EDL files, which were created in
> 1987.  I believe that the files came from The Post Group or UNITEL.  Does
> anybody know what logging/online editing system would have been in use
> around this time?  Was the EDL format proprietary to the system?  Does
> anybody have the hardware/software available to read these files?

I believe that, back at that time, The Post Group Hollywood was running CMX
340, 3400, or 3600 systems. It was probably RT 11. I don't think they had ISC,
but I could be wrong. As far as Unitel Cahuenga was concerned, I'm not sure if
they had CMX or not. Rob would know.

We do have a GVG 251 driving some tape room VTRs here, but the 8" drive is
long gone from our previous 141 system. If the 8" drive was there and happily
working, and the file was GVG language, there might be a chance of recovery.

If you can find a PC with Turbotrace and an 8" drive, there might be a chance
there also of recovery.

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archive Videotape Re-mastering