[Tig] Ecinema Display

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Sat Aug 6 19:35:47 BST 2005

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Martin Euredjian wrote:
>> Unlike the Apple display, it does not appear to be on the verge of thermal
> melt-down.  The Apple
> displays seem like they come with an internal oven.  The panel is completely
> cool to the touch and only has one mildly warm point behind the display.
>
> The heat is not really a problem.  It has to do with the backlight approach

Heat can certainly be a problem if the heat is non-uniform.  It would
distort the behavior of the liquid crystal elements.

> taken.  Apple's display uses backlights directly behind the LCD element.
> Samsung's has them edge mounted, which allows for a litte better heat
> management.  It's interesting to note that the plastic 23 inch ACD had
> edge-mounted backlights as well.

Interesting.  The Sun LCD panel is considerably thicker than most
(almost 3" at its thickest).  There is a bulbous rear where the
circuitry appears to reside and there are holes for natural
ventilation.  There is no heating at the edges and the backlighting is
extremely uniform.  When I purchased the panel it cost $3600, which is
certainly not on the cheap side.  I notice that the price has come
down since then.

Even though the dynamic range specification does not sound terribly
good, the image performance is remarkably better than some Sharp
panels I purchased which advertise a dynamic range of something like
800:1.  I think that the Sharp panels achieve their dynamic range via
eye-searing brightness levels.  I hear the same thing about Dell LCDs
(which may use Sharp or Samsung LCD panels).

> which affects performance in different ways.  Apple did take the right
> approach with true back-lighting of the LCD.  They just screwed-up with the

As long as customer find the display's design to be highly ergonomic
and the product sells briskly, Apple is happy.  Technical excellence
is not their objective.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn