[Tig] [OFF TOPIC] Apple!

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen
Thu Aug 4 16:24:47 BST 2005

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Martin Euredjian wrote:

> On a side note, larger high resolution displays, like the 30 inch ACD, are
> forcing new thinking in UI design (I think).  Having to navigate back and
> forth on such a large expanse can actually hurt your hand (carpal tunnel,
> etc.).  I think this is where things like multi-button mice and such things
> becomes quite useful.

Or perhaps old thinking in UI design.  Apple's use of a menu bar at
the top of the screen (legacy Apple dating to the first Mac) makes it
easy to find the menu for the active application, but requires a lot
of movement on a large screen.  In contrast, X-Windows applications
usually attach the menu to the top of the application window where is
is likely to be much closer to the normal work area, or else they
provide a floating window so you can move the menu to where you want.
With most X-Windows window managers, you can have as many applications
painted across the screen as you like, and while one window has the
current focus, there is not the notion of a "current" application.
As a result, X-Windows behavior is more suitable for a large screen.
Believe it or not, there were actually systems running X-Windows with
a resolution of 1600x1200 back in the late '80s, and this influenced
application design.

As a result, I have donated my new G5 PowerMac to my wife to use since
I found the OS-X desktop to be much more constraining and tedious than
an X-Windows desktop.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn