[tig] Slightly OT DLT drives

Rob Lingelbach rob
Thu Jan 29 18:24:58 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 09:58:13AM -0800, Michael Orton wrote:
> thanks Jeff Kreines for supporting the TIG.
> --
>
> Thanks for this as well, Robb. Do you have any idea how these tape
> device names translate to real world meanings?
> >
> >tps1d1nrsv.62500c
> >tps1d1nrsv.81633
> >tps1d1nrsv.85937

i?ve always thought that one of the nice things about unix is its
ability to type or spec a file (and devices show up as
files, they handle the different types of input and output
just like files) independently of the name of the file, so
you can have filenames like those above, without regard to
file-extension name rules.  I heard that unfortunately (in
my humble opinion) OSX (which otherwise has a unix base) uses
the filename extension, like Windows, to determine file type.

from experience with Solaris and Linux I?d say each of those
letters has a very specific meaning and for example the "nr"
may mean non-rewinding device.

--Rob
Rob Lingelbach
tig founder, unix system administrator