[tig] MPEG4 DVD Players for Executive Dailies playback ?

Mark Gilbert mark
Tue Jan 27 11:17:07 GMT 2004

Folks.

I have noticed that MPEG4 compatible DVD Players are becoming widely
available, and at very low cost. These devices will apparently play
back MPEG4 video off a CD-R or DVD-R with a full screen video output
and easy operation.

This leads me to ask whether this technology might be of use for
Digital Dailies or executive dailies.

We can digitise picture _directly_ into MPEG4 format using QuickTime
in one step (compared to the complications of authoring MPEG2 video
for creating regular video DVDs). This video could then be played
back as 'executive dailies' on a device which potentially costs less
than $150 US. My initial review of the picture quality shows very
good results.

Another option. We have been considering is the idea of even
recording DIRECTLY onto a CD-R (or DVD-R) in real time.  I am not
sure of the practicality of this at present, but Apple have now
provided an API for applications to write directly to CD-R and DVD-R
via the Mac OSX operating system.

Does anyone have any experience of these MPEG4 DVD Players ?  What
sort of quality do they support ?  Is this a practical option for
Dailies ?  How about the idea of recording direct to CD-R ?

The potential here is to hit record, digitising MPEG4 direct to CD-R
(perhaps in parallel with the telecine). Then pop the disk out and be
able to put it into one of these MPEG4 DVD players for immediate
playback.

Any comments on this idea  ?

Cheers

Mark Gilbert.