a new way (was Re: [tig] RE: seabiscuit NR)

Rob Lingelbach rob
Thu Oct 23 00:53:53 BST 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:30:08PM +0200, Christopher Noellert wrote:

> Also, where I am, people say they are "in the transfer" or "doing the
> transfer" or "supervising the transfer."  Ad agency execs "watch the
> transfer" while everyone else "talks during the transfer."  When the
> transfer is done they pick up they're master or their rushes.

I would like to mention something after having a private
discussion with a top colorist today about that last
sentence above, as kind of an aside, but very pertinent to
recent traffic here on the TIG.

A few years ago, 6 or so, there appeared in Los Angeles a
new way of approaching film-to-tape telecine sessions done
during the day with high production-value jobs.  It became
acceptable for the daytime, client-oriented or senior
colorist, to correct or program the film, and then have the
nighttime, more solitary perhaps nonsenior colorist, to
record the film to tape.  This method brought more
efficiency to the facility and allowed the booking of more
high-end daytime sessions, because now the clients didn?t
have to sit and wait for the recording.  So this was good
for facilities.

But it was a bit difficult for me (a former editor) to get
used to, because one of my goals in a session was always to
have the client walk out with the end product  *after
screening it with me*  so there would be no doubts about the
final result.  In the earlier days of encoded and analog
recordings it was important for the client to understand
what was lost in the recording.  In later days with digital
recordings and component monitoring, watching playback
became less important, but we still recorded the film with
the client present, as a sort of review, and this was useful
also for the colorist who might suggest improvements.

It gets a little more complicated with DI as there are
parts of the process that are left to non-session
scheduling.

I would think that most colorists are aware of transfers
from telecine (non-DI) that have been tweaked after the
client-supervised session, but done with improvements in
mind and with a foundation of trust between client and
colorist (perhaps discussed with the client on the phone).
Then it is up to the colorist whether or not to inform the
client, with this foundation of trust in mind.

--Rob
--
Rob Lingelbach
tig founder, unix system administrator