[Tig] (TIG)Fun with sugar cubes, cabbages and kings and Quads

DCSOS at aol.com DCSOS
Tue Sep 24 15:36:16 BST 2002

While not a Quad trick, the innovation I came up with involved the Abekas
still store.
I found that if you removed one of the several memory boards after inputting
video, the Abekas would create a unique "posterized" effect. I used this on
my first music video for Tommy Boy, Planet Rock..
Dany
Editors' Hideaway, NY

The best one I ever did was as an April Fool joke. We copied a programme to a
gash 2" tape, recording 250Hz tone on the audio track.

We then rewound the tape oxide out.

In order to make the gag work, we arranged a playback on an Ampex AVR1 with
the most senior VT operator in the department booked on the job.

The look on his face when the colour bars and clock played back mirrored was
amazing!

Bearing in mind that an AVR1 plays back almost anything (the 250Hz tone
looked to the machine like a control track).

Jeff (ex BBC VT) Booth
Soho Images
London