[Tig] developments in mergers

Sebastian Sylwan sebastian
Mon Sep 23 14:20:38 BST 2002

Last time i saw Oscar's demo (or more appropiately "the product formerly
known with the same name as a hollywood award") i was told it was an
optical / electronic process, as you say. The operator though was showing
processed / unprocessed differences with a wipe. That lead me to thinking
that the main part of the process was electronic. When i asked the question
though, i was told no declarations were to be made about the technical
aspects of it...

Cheers

Sebastian

At 08.33 23/09/2002 -0400, Dave Corbitt wrote:
>At 08:20 PM 9/21/02, Rob Lingelbach wrote:
>>Jim Mann wrote:
>

>Maybe I'm wrong on all this but I think Cintel's scratch concealment
>(formerly known as Oscar) and grain removal (Grace) is a front end process
>combining optical and electronic processes and occurs before the signal is
>accessible simultaneously as pre and post versions of scratch removal. So,
>most likely there cannot be two versions for comparison to look for those
>occasional base scratches caused by the machine itself unless the operator
>switches the correction on and off before laying down the images to data
>or tape. For Spirit and Millennium, scratch and grain concealment is
>completely optically in the front end so there is never an "unprocessed"
>or scratched version of the image available. Scratch reduction or
>suppression is inherent in the diffuse nature of the front end optics. For
>Millennium, the process can be summed up as a diffuse sensor, for Spirit
>it can be classified as a diffuse light source. Net results are similar
>for these very different kinds of machines. For Cintel, sounds like they
>are using a diffuse sensor but different from the MIllennium concept since
>it is adjustable electronically.
>
>Not paid by any of the telecine manufacturers to say anything good or bad
>about anybody's products.
>
>Dave C
>
>david_corbitt at thomaselectronics.com
>Thomas Electronics Inc.
>Wayne, NJ
>http://www.thomaselectronics.com/

Sebastian Sylwan                                           sebastian at vrmmp.it
Direttore Tecnologico - Chief Technology Officer           Tel. +390112271211
Virtual Reality & Multi Media Park S.p.A.                 http://www.vrmmp.it