[Tig] vu vs. led for audio

Rob Lingelbach robling
Sat Oct 26 00:22:51 BST 2002

which do you prefer: LED scales for audio level monitoring,
or VU meters?  Peak or averaging?

I much prefer VUs because LEDs give me the impression
of less information, due to their inherent 'sampling' nature.
But this is probably an artifact of my own preferences that
some things remain better analog.   (another example: automobile
gauges, where at a glance many gauges can be read at once with
needles, and with numeric or digital readouts one has to take the
time to read each one.)

A VU meter with some peak-reading LEDs seems like it would be
a nice way to go.

--
Key fingerprint = 3467 732F 283D 210F 2CEB  F3C0 7C06 AE86 D447 AB37
Rob Lingelbach  Senior Colorist UCLA Film and Television Archive