[Tig] RE: Is it just me?

Michael D. Most mikemost
Sat Oct 19 02:45:56 BST 2002

> I'm sure most of the members of this group are able to tell the
> difference between a television show shot on film, be it Super-16 or
> 35mm, and one now shot on Hi-Def video.

There are some shows that are shot on HD that you or anyone else would have
a very hard time determining that they were not film, although I will agree
that these are generally in the minority.

> And, I mean no disrespect to anyone here who may be working on these
> shows. I only wonder if this harsh, flat-looking, blow out whites, muted
> color picture quality is the future for us "over 40" viewers who have
> been used to much better in the past?
>
> Last Friday night I tried to watch a new show (I won't say which one)
> and found myself yearning for the commercials. They were all shot on
> film and they all looked better than the Hi-Def show I was watching.
> After 20 minutes I switched to something else.

Some of the sitcoms fall into this category, but I think that a number of HD
shows look very, very good. As examples I would offer Titus (now cancelled,
but I'm thinking of last season's shows), Life With Bonnie, Family Affair,
Bernie Mac, and the Showtime series Odyssey 5. And let's face it, the look
of many of the multicamera film shows is nothing to write home about either.

Mike Most