[Tig] Inventor of TV.

Grant Petty grantpetty
Fri May 31 01:53:12 BST 2002

Hi,

I saw a vintage television group at IBC a few years ago demonstrating
disk scanning television using a led's and a CD for the video source.
Apparently the audio track had enough bandwidth for the images, which
looked like an animated icon on a computer, however they were quite
viewable. I guess this would have been amazing in the 20's.

It waa a great demo, and to see this among all the latest digital gear
was great. Good to see someone keeps the history alive.

Weird to see something without an SDI input!

Regards,

Grant
Blackmagic Design

On Friday, May 31, 2002, at 12:30  AM, Peter Swinson wrote:

> Well, I guess you guys in the USA reckon Farnsworth invented TV.
>
> He may have invented the first electronic scan and display, however  Mr
> John Logie Baird, a Scotsman, first demonsrated real time grey scale
> transmitted images in 1925. The images were of a puppets head, rotating.
> OK so the scanning and receiving devices used Nipkow disc, but the
> signal
> was transmitted over electronic cables and subsequently over Medium Wave
> Radio.
>
> Cintel International was originally the John Logie Baird Company, We can
> trace our history all the way back to the 1920's.
>
> What's more disc recordings of  "video images" made on 30 line
> television
> still exist, the earliest being 20 Septemer1927. Maybe I will get to
> show
> some of you these amazing images at SMPTE in Pasadena.
>
> Further Baird demonstrated Color Projection TV on a 12 foot screen in
> London on 12 December 1937 !
>
> No I was not around at the beginning, it just seems like that.
>
> Peter Swinson
> Cintel International
>

> --
> Participate in the open TIG webspace, a collaborative project.
> http://tig.alegria.com/twiki/bin/view
> --
> No marketing or advertising on the tig.  (help wanted ads excepted)
> Send such submissions to rob at tig.alegria.com.
>  to promote products without disclaiming financial interest.
> --
> Thank you Optimus! for supporting the TIG.
> copyright TIG 2002 all rights reserved.

This email is confidential and privileged. Only the intended recipient
may access or use it.? If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete this email and notify us promptly. I use virus scanning software
but exclude all liability for viruses or similar in any attachment.

Grant Petty
Blackmagic Design

12 Thistlethwaite Street,
South Melbourne, Victoria,