[Tig] Re: Farnsworth, Zworykin et al.

John Walsh johnw
Thu May 30 21:15:56 BST 2002

Any mention in the reviews that Sarnoff and RCA also ripped off Edwin
Armstrong by using his patented FM for the aural component of the televised
signal?

"RCA tried to circumvent Armstrong's patents, and began producing
televisions with his sound system, but paying him nothing, and then,
finally, offering him $1 million for a non-exclusionary license. It was
something like a scene from the Old West, the rich rancher going to his
upstart competitor next door and saying, "I'm going to give you $1 million
for your spread. Do you want me to pay you, or do want me to pay your
widow?"

John Walsh
Toybox