[Tig] TIG more Piccasso & dual link

Nigel Hadley nigel.hadley
Thu May 16 10:11:54 BST 2002

Hello,

In further answer to Greg's questions

 >So Dual-link HD seems to mainly be RGB HD over two HD-SDI "pipes."
One >could however send any data over this "HSDL (high speed data link)"
 >albeit with a maximum "width" of 2.97 Gb/s.  But SMPTE 372M covers the
 >"HD format" of 444 RGB 1920 x 1080 up to 30fps progressive.

Agreed, and at NAB this year Sony demonstrated 2038x1536 RGB 444 over
dual-link, which makes things even more confusing?

 >I agree
 >with Peter, and would consider this type of dual link to be HD "video"
 >and not "data" at least for clarity.  It seems like this is the type
of >"signal" that the Piccasso system stores and sends about although
Nigal >seem to allude to some sort of HSDL "format" could be supported in a
 >future update.

I think to clarify things here it should be made clear that in the
current discussion, "video", and "data" are being used to describe the
transport of the signal. Once the signal is stored on the discs it is "data"

 >It also seems that Snell is storing this "format" in a DPX file but
 >most folks might only think of a DPX file as having at least a minimum
 >resolution like 2038 x 1536 and have a certain bit-depth.  Obviously
 >file formats like DPX and "data pipes" (like dual-link HD-SDI)
 >themselves don't themselves describe the size, bit depth, and frame
 >rate of the imagery stored and/or transported.  This is all getting
 >very confusing.  We need names for all these "resolutions" (both color
 >and detail resolutions) with their frame rate.   I would also like to
 >provide my definition of "real-time" as "the intended VIEWING frame
 >rate."

Answered earlier by Bruno - eg it is possible to have 525 line DPX
frames, it is also possible (but I don"t think used by anyone to have
YUV DPX files)

 >Can the Snell guys comment further? What is the relationship between
 >Snell & Pandora?  (I missed this Piccasso system at NAB.)

Pandora are our partners in developing the Piccaso system, the interface
between the Pixi (CC) & the disks (Spirint) is an LVDS connection
jointly developed by the 2 companies. The RGB system developed for ILM
for Star Wars, involved a lot of joint development work by both companies.

 >Why only
 >provide a disk system for a particular brand of cc system?

The disks in different configurations, can be used with any CC system.

 >And did Martin respond to Peter's question:

 >Reading the TIG thread I gather that Piccasso is a Dual Stream HD-SDI
 >device, and that it has, according to Martin Holmes, an internal
 >structure
 >in DPX. If this is the case then can  2K (2048 x 1536 or 1556)  10 bit
 >RGB
 >files be output to the real world as DPX ?  Does Piccasso recognise the
 >HSDL structure and have an ability to convert to DPX ?  Or is it a 1920
 >x1080 HD SDI only device as Nigel Hadley implies.?

Currently only 1920x1080, but we will be developing further higher res
interfaces in the near future.

Regards

Nigel

Nigel Hadley