[Tig] TIG Piccasso

Sebastian Sylwan sebastian
Tue May 14 09:16:44 BST 2002

Hi all,

I'm replying here as a user not as a representative of Snell&Wilcox and so
my information may not be precise.

The SpiRINT (which is the architecture on which the picasso software runs)
is inherently a Dual-link HD-SDI machine. it deals with RGB data and at the
moment is limited by 1920x1080. The underlying system though could handle
2K images and the people from s&w have told me that they are working on
this (i hope i'm not stepping into anybody's toes here). My personal
opinion is that the increasing complexity of the systems we deal with
everyday together with the (yes i will use the infamous buzz-word)
convergence of IT & video technologies (and markets) makes it really
difficult to rely on rock-carved definitions. The primaries/secondaries
discussion a while ago proved the same point IMHO. Back to the SpiRINT as
far as i know (and would expect) the only data that get recorded on the
disks is the actual frames (wouldn't make sense to have "sync" signals) and
maybe some metadata. We're not talking composite VTR's, the sync gets
generated when the data is played back in real time. From another point of
view you might see it as a DDR with realtime dual link HD-SDI I/O (waiting
for the 2k and HSDL... ).

Regards

Sebastian