[Tig] VS4 Settings

EricksonTelecine at aol.com EricksonTelecine
Wed May 1 19:47:23 BST 2002

In a message dated 4/30/02 2:32:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
p.angrignon at onf.ca writes:

> Does anyone have a Philips VS4 out there? I'd be very appreciative on help

Pierre,

  We use a VS-4 with excellent results, and have come up with some good base
settings after hours of tinkering and comparison.   For random dirt, we have
the following base settings:  size=2D size 3, sensitivity=5, motion=7, dirt
or splice=dirt only, white or black=white only, aggressive=off,
unsteadiness=off.
With this base setting, we are able to eliminate white dirt events by approx.
60% with  literally no artifacts on any material.   Specifying black or both
is also effective for material that contains black events as well--very safe
base setting.
For even more thorough elimination approaching 90%, we simply check "on" both
aggressive and unsteadiness, leaving all other settings the same.   We have
found that both aggresive and unsteadiness must be checked for minimal
artifacting.   With this level of concealment, watch for artifacting on
slates, credits, or other bold lettering content, as well as tips of airplane
propellers and speakers with exaggerated randomn hand motions--be ready to
pickup edits if needed--very thorough cleaning, though--puts older technology
to shame.
Make sure the correct input standard is selected within the "Setup" menu for
optimum results!  Because we are usually coming from telecine, we select Film
30-20 fps mode as a base setting.   Remember that good edge detection is key
to optimum results--the sharper the content, the generally better your
results will be.   If you can do work in PAL instead of NTSC, results will be
even better.

We also have some good settings for scratch concealment---let me know if
you're interested.

Jim Erickson

Erickson Archival Telecine
EricksonArchival at aol.com

(P.S. looking for a Rank digi IV even for parts, if anyone has one)