[Tig] Vialta?

Harding, Rick Rick.Harding
Mon Feb 25 05:42:43 GMT 2002

Rich:

I think some following this stream may be unaware that you are talking about
optical functions here and not electronic.  As you know, Vialta's optical
function was never intended for the applications you are referring to. The
optical functions are intended to allow proper video framing of images
without need of electronic blow up; not for programmable moves.  As you also
know, Vialta has the full arsenal of electronic moves for the applications
you describe below.

Regards,
Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Torpey [mailto:rich at torpey.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 7:26 AM
To: Sebastian Sylwan
Cc: Martin Euredjian; tig at tig.alegria.com
Subject: Re: [Tig] Vialta?

Sebastian Sylwan wrote:

> Why would you need to rotate your image in between two "for
compositing"
> scans ?

You wouldn't - the idea is that you want the two passes EXACTLY the same
in every axis x,y,z, rotation and focus.

> Am i missing something or the primary thing is having a stable scan ?
As
> soon as you have it, it's not tracking anymore. It's just putting
together
> two scans that have no relative movement.

Stability is very important - it's also important that the image be in
the right position. If the position doesn't match then the inferno
artist needs to correct the offset - it may be a simple x or y
displacement or it may be (and probably will be) a combination of
x,y,z,rotation and maybe a focus shift. If it's limited to one axis then
the artist can fix it pretty quickly with a DVE type move. When it's a
combination of offsets the artist has to deal with changes in geometry
of the image as well as positional offsets. Hmm, unstable image
geometry... reminds me of old MKIII's ;-)

Rich (insert standard disclaimer here) Torpey

--
Thank you Aine Marsland of Pandora for supporting the TIG.