[Tig] Spirit resolution (was: National Gallery of Canada)

Mikko Kuutti mikko.kuutti
Tue Feb 19 06:51:01 GMT 2002

Martin,

Regarding a "native" resolution on the Spirit. As I understand it, the
1920 array won't ever exactly match the output. It is in a fixed
position relative to the film, and there's no physical zoom. Zoom and
pan controls rely on image processing, and everything the Spirit outputs
is interpolated.

Does anyone know for sure sure?

The original issue of preserving the 16 mm prints warrants a comment.
John should first make duplicate negs from the prints. If these are
stored in proper conditions, they'll last for hundreds of years. That's
quite a bit more than anyone can promise for digital media.

Mikko

-- Mikko Kuutti
-- Deputy Director
-- Finnish Film Archive
-- tel. +358 9 6154 0254, gsm +358 40 511 8766
-- mikko.kuutti at sea.fi

P.S. Scanning film in 50i will yield exactly the same results as
scanning in 24p when going back to film. The benefit is a simple path to
SD PAL.

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 03:28 , Martin Euredjian wrote:

> I'm not sure that your 1B is appropriately placed there.  If we define
> 2K to
> mean 2048 x 1536 .cin or .dpx files (meaning 10bit log RGB or 12 bit
> linear
> RGB, not YCbCr), then the Spirit has to interpolate pixels to generate
> this
> data.  Couple this to the fact that it sub-samples color information
> from
> the get-go and you might very well have an image that will not compare
> favorably to the same machine operating at HDTV resolution (which is
> native
> to its sensor array) and recording to a non-compressed format.
>
> Martin Euredjian
> eCinema Systems, Inc.
> (661) 305-9320
> ecinema at pacbell.net

>>> 3- 24P HDTV scanning on a telecine and recording to HDCAM
>>> 4- Any non-24P HDTV scanning (not recommended)
>>> 5- HDTV scanning on a telecine and high-grade down-convert/digital
> record
>>> 6- SDTV scanning in PAL/digital record
>>> 7- SDTV scanning in NTSC/digital record