[Tig] Re: Telecine output

peter webb tjebi
Sat Apr 20 00:48:51 BST 2002

Hi Stephen

Compositor replying here ... I have done 4:4:4 transfers direct from Ursa to Flame disk array to get maximum quality.

This was a few years ago and one problem was that we lost timecode during this process so had to eye match the clips
in Flame, to the offline which was a bit of a drag.

We also did the same process through Digi Beta as usual and could therefore compare the Digi Beta output with the
direct 4:4:4. We found that there was a difference but that it was extremely subtle - quite minimal. We were doing
bluescreen composites so artifacting in the foreground sequences was a potential problem that we hoped 4:4:4 would go
some way to solving.

As I mentioned, the differences were so minimal as to be not really worth the trouble. I am assuming that your NLE is
an 8 bit linear colourspace and the fact that the footage has never been through the Digi Beta 2:1 compression and
4:2:2 would not give you the full dynamic range that was available on the negative. Sorry if this sounds insultingly
basic.

That is a current techniques answer. What i think is pretty exciting is that datacines can transfer 10 bit log to disk
and that will give you / us the entire dynamic range of the negative to play with in post - we can maintain that range
into the compositing stage. I think that's what you might have been pointing to with your comment about compositing
being done with full colour sampling.

Peter Webb
Melbourne, Australia.