[Tig] Telecine Suite Lighting

Dave Corbitt david_corbitt
Thu Apr 18 13:17:13 BST 2002

At 10:54 PM 4/17/02, bobineinc at aol.com wrote:
>hi all
>
>" the t5-small maches perfectly the true day light"
>..........Not to mention most of the people change there fluorescent tube
>when they flicker witch means that the tube changed from 6500k to 1000k or
>less during the course of it life time.
>Jias / Bobine ( pronounce Bo been)

Jais,

I disagree. Fluorescent tubes do not change color temperature as they age.
They may have reduced light output and start to flicker as the cathode
material depletes but the phosphors do not change their spectral
characteristics over time. The problem with fluorescent illumination is the
non-continuous and spikey spectrum of the phosphor light emission and the
various bright and very sharp Mercury emission lines of the glowing plasma
within the bulb giving the spectrum a very uneven energy distribution.
Filtered halogen lamps will give a smooth spectrum however they will change
color temperature when the lights are dimmed. Cold Cathode lamps, perhaps
the best choice for telecine suites, are the kind of illumination that make
for the closest to ideal lighting for a telecine suite. They can be dimmed
without flicker, last a real long time, and can be formed in any shape
called for by the architect. Drawback is they are not cheap. But a good
designer can take advantage of the cold cathode lamps flexibility to create
great background light.

I do not work for any lighting people and have no financial interest in
any. Just a field I enjoy discussing and reading about.

Dave Corbitt

david_corbitt at thomaselectronics.com
Thomas Electronics Inc.
Wayne, NJ