[Tig] HDCAM for 2.35 (again!)

bob at bluescreen.com bob
Fri Nov 2 17:39:49 GMT 2001

On Fri, 02 Nov 2001 15:42:18 +0000, you wrote:
>Sorry, I was trying to spare some blushes earlier.
>
>It was The Lake, written and directed by Robert Golden. Shot on JVC
>Professional DV format. It has been seen at the Sundance Festival, but I saw
>it in the more prosaic surroundings of the London Screenings.
>
>Dick

Well, just because JVC calls it "Professional" doesn't make it so.

Recording original highly compressed images at 4:1:1 only looks good on a
monitor from the original tape, and even then, don't look too closely.

The DV format is not very good, and when blown up to film and projected
always, always looks like crap. People who use it for this purpose deserve
what they get.

Robert Rodriguez has started shooting "Spy Kids 2" in Austin using a pair
of Sony F900 24p cameras. This is a relatively high budget feature for a
major studio using a largish film crew, and we'll see how it turns out when
he's done.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC