Re: EASTMAN 285 & Sony DXC-1820

Regarding some tech detail stuff, i just want to be sure about this:

>If I remember correctly, the Eastman 285 was a modified
 16mm Kodak Pageant projector.

Perhaps i'm unfamiliar with the Pageant Unit, but the Eastman 285 is about 5 feet tall and weighs upwards of 250 pounds.  Was the pageant the same internals? The 285 uses (3) vacuum tubes and has a Two Lamp rotating carousel (for broadcast redundancy?)

>The 285 was commonly used in educational and industrial settings, but
 it was a bit lightweight for broadcast use.

The 285 was a Television Broadcast Telecine used primarily in TV Studios.  Once again, i only say this to make sure that if i do need parts i can salvage off of of a Pageant. Dont want there to be any confusion as to what the 285 is/was.  Does this info help?

>the other hand, unless it's been run into the gound, a three tube
 camera will produce better sharpness and color separation, and less
 lag than a single tube model.

I think i am going to use a Canon GL-1 Full Digital w/ firewire 3CCD Camera for the image pick-up. this Camera allows a 30fps fullframe capture using a high res and opticaly (not electronically) stabilized input BEFORE reaching the CCD.  at this point i can bring it directly into the PC.  I believe the GL-1 will allow enough image adjustment to end up with a good image throughout the run. (full manual controls are a plus)

>you should be able to obtain images which will
 look like '70s TV: soft, blurry, no detail in the highlights,
 murky lowlights, and unnatural, possibly oversaturated colors.

I am aiming at something far better than blurry murky and unnatural. I am not so sure i will be limited that much, but then again, time will indeed tell. Personally i am much more optimistic, but who knows!

I want to avoid any "-to-tape" until the final duping-off of retail copies.  I think if i keep the telecine'd source digital (PC) from its birth to its final laying to rest (VHS retail copy) i will be better off. After all, no Digital Betacam to post with here!

>With any luck, you'll start a new trend which
>might be called LDTV (low definition TV

That was funny.  scary, but funny.
Thanks Chris!!!

Mike Lachance
    (feeling MUCH better now)

1070 subscribers in 41 countries on Wed Jan 12 15:05:57 CST 2000
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com