[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
FW: HD Safe Title?
- To: "'Telecine Internet Group'" <telecine at xyzoom.alegria.com>
- Subject: FW: HD Safe Title?
- From: Evertz Telecine Support Group <evfilm at evertz.com>
- Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:56:25 -0500
- Resent-Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:01:49 -0600
- Resent-From: telecine at alegria.com
- Resent-Message-ID: <"xSRQ7C.A.12D.Yb-Q4" at sun>
- Resent-Sender: telecine-request at alegria.com
- Resent-To: multiple recipients of <telecine at alegria.com>
- Sender: Alan Lambshead <alan at evertz.com>
>> Has anyone set any sort of High Definition standard for those old
familiar production considerations, Safe Title and Safe Action.
We asked this question a lot when designing our HD Graticule Generator and
got a lot of varying answers. In the end what seems to prevail is that when
HD work is being done care has to be taken what the 4 x 3 center area will
look like for NTSC downconversions, so the standard 90% SA/ 80% ST is what
many are still adhering to.
For 16 x 9 work that translates to 90/80 % of the clean aperture (SMPTE RP
187 says SA/ST should be with respect to the clean aperture, although they
don't define what the numbers should be)
For 4 x 3 areas it should be 90/80 % of the picture height with a width
proportional to 1.33 aspect ratio.
These are the numbers we ended up using in our HD Graticule Generator while
we all await SMPTE's revision of RP 27.3 and RP 187.
Alan Lambshead, VP Engineering
Evertz Microsystems Ltd.
Email: alan at evertz.com
Thanks to Seamus O'Kane for support in 1999
No advertising/marketing allowed on the main TIG. Contact rob at alegria.com
anonymous messaging now at http://www.alegria.com/HyperNews/get/ubique.html
1064 subscribers in 41 countries on Tue Nov 30 09:01:44 CST 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com
complete information on the TIG website http://www.alegria.com/tig3/