TELECINE INTERNET GROUP HDTV SURVEY

To everyone on the TIG:
    Thanks for the big yes vote on our survey. I thought hard about
how best to send it so that everyone could read it and fill it in.
E-mail seemed the best way, so here it is, below. Let me reiterate
that I am very serious about confidentiality on the survey.

I need responses in by Tuesday, November 23rd, please. I also need a
minimum of 250 responses, so please tell your friends! (This
represents a 25% return rate from the TIG!) I'm particularly
interested in receiving manufacturer's/ representatives' responses as
well, so that their expectations can be compared with colorists,
managers and engineers.

If there is any part of the survey you dont want to fill in, please
just leave it blank, or put MYOB (mind your own business!) in the
slot. I'll get the idea. As a token of my gratitude for allowing this
to go ahead, I plan to make a contribution to the TIG based on the
number of useable replies I get. Sounds like one of those chain
e-mails doesn't it? Nope, I'm serious.

I will e-mail the completed project to all respondents, about 3 weeks
after closing. My reason for doing this is simple: I need your
survey. (Rob may decide to publish anyway, so I will be bound by his
judgement in this matter) Thank you all in advance.

One last thing. Please leave the words "TELECINE INTERNET GROUP HDTV
SURVEY" in the subject line. My e-mail filter will sort it out for
me, avoiding much pain and sorrow.

Thank y'all

Mike Orton

PS DONT FORGET TO JUST REPLY TO ME ONLY. I DONT WANT YOUR RESPONSES
ALL OVER THE TIG BY ACCIDENT !!!!

TELECINE INTERNET GROUP HDTV SURVEY

      This survey is for academic use only. All responses will be held
in STRICT CONFIDENCE, and only the aggregate results will be
published on the TIG. If you wish to make a response contingent on
signature of a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA), please e-mail the NDA
as Microsoft Word attachment to Mike, and we will be happy to fax a
signed copy back to you. If you would prefer to receive a Microsoft
Word file to complete, please e-mail the request to Mike.

BACKGROUND OF YOU AND YOUR COMPANY

1) Your own name               [                              ]

2) Your e-mail address         [                              ]

3) Your company name           [                              ]

4) Your company city & country [                              ]

5) What is your job function? (please check one)
a) Owner                                                              [ ]
b) Overall Management (President, MD, CEO, COO)                       [ ]
c) Operational Management (GM, VP Operations, Ops Mgr, Exec Producer) [ ]
d) Technical Management (VP Eng, Chief Eng, Dir Eng)                  [ ]
e) Operational Staff (Colorist, Artist, Editor, Compressionist)       [ ]
f) Technical Staff (Engineer, Programmer, System Admin)               [ ]
g) Other (please state)        [                              ]

6) What is the nature of your business?
a) Broadcast or Affiliate                                  [ ]
b) "High End" National & Commercials Video Post Production [ ]
c) Local Area Video Post Production                        [ ]
d) Corporate Video Post Production                         [ ]
e) Film Effects/Post Production                            [ ]
f) Equipment Manufacturer                                  [ ]
g) Other (please state)        [                              ]
(if f) PLEASE ANSWER MANUFACTURERS' SECTION QUESTION #18 ONWARDS)

  REVENUE AND PAST/PRESENT/FUTURE HD/HIREZ WORK

7) Please could you estimate your annual revenue (in US $)     [$
]
(note: the individual responses are COMPLETELY CONFIDENTIAL)

8) Please could you estimate the following in US $:
a) value of your present capital equipment
[$               ]
b) value of HD or High Resolution-capable (above D-1) equipment you
currently own               [$               ]
c) amount of HD/HiRez or capable equipment you plan to purchase in
next 6 months                [$               ]
d) amount of HD/HiRez or capable equipment you plan to purchase in
next year/includes (c) above [$               ]

9) What is your estimate of your total number of hours of finished
product per year
(e.g. tapes shipped x number of program minutes on each  60)      [
hrs]

10) What percentage of your work done today is performed (finished)
only at SDTV resolution (or below)
(not at HD/HiRez resolution or not at both HD and SD)              [        %]

11) What do you estimate the percentage of your work done this time
last year was only at SDTV resolution [        %]

12) Six months from now, what percentage of your total work do you
estimate will be SDTV-only jobs?       [        %]

13) One year from now, what percentage of your total work do you
estimate will be SDTV-only jobs?         [        %]

14) What percentage increase in room rate do you think is justified
for HDTV working? (Check One only)
a)  5% increase     [ ]
b) 10% increase      [ ]
c) 20% increase      [ ]
d) 30% increase      [ ]
e) 40% increase      [ ]
f) > 45% increase    [ ]

15) What is your estimate of the number of years before HDHiRez or
related work will represent
a)  25% of your revenue?      [     years]
b)  50% of your revenue?      [     years]
c)  75% of your revenue?      [     years]

16) What is the favored alcoholic beverage in your part of the world?
[                       ]

17) Any other comments?        [
]

  THIS SECTION IS INTENDED FOR EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURERS ONLY

18) Please could you estimate your annual revenue (in US $)     [$
]
(note: the individual responses are COMPLETELY CONFIDENTIAL)

19) Please could you estimate the following in US $:
a) value of your present annual equipment sales
[$               ]
b) value of HD/HiRez or HD-capable equipment you currently sell
annually                       [$               ]
c) amount of HD/HiRez or capable equipment you expect to sell in next
6 months                 [$               ]
d) amount of HD/HiRez or capable equipment you expect to sell in next
year including (c) above [$               ]

20) What percentage of work today do you estimate is performed
(finished) only at SDTV resolution (or below)
(not at HD/HiRez resolution or not at both HD and SD)     [        %]

21) What do you estimate the percentage of industry work done today
is performed (finished) only at SDTV resolution (or below)? [
%]

22) Six months from now, what percentage of industry work do you
estimate will be SDTV-only jobs?                               [
%]

23) A year from now, what percentage of industry work do you estimate
will be SDTV-only jobs?                                   [        %]

24) What percentage increase in room rate do you think is justified
for HDTV working? (Check One only)
a)  5% increase     [ ]
b) 10% increase      [ ]
c) 20% increase      [ ]
d) 30% increase      [ ]
e) 40% increase      [ ]
f) > 45% increase    [ ]

25) What is your estimate of the number of years before HD or
HD-related equipment will represent
a)  25% of your revenue?      [     years]
b)  50% of your revenue?      [     years]
c)  75% of your revenue?      [     years]

26) What is the favored alcoholic beverage in your part of the world?
[                      ]

27) Any other comments?        [

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete the survey.
Please e-mail the completed document to Mike Orton: mike at orton.com,
or Blair Campbell: blair.campbell at west.boeing.com, or if you prefer,
print the document out, complete by hand, and fax to (US) (818)
991-9754.

Thanks to the following people for survey suggestions:
Jim Fancher, POP Studios, Santa Monica, CA
Jerry Haggart, Nice Shoes, New York
Gerlof Kamerling, Synchro, Vienna, Austria
Craig Leffel, Optimus, Chicago
Frank Smith, GTN, Oak Park, MI
Carlos Valdes, Beta, Mexico

AND HUGE THANKS TO ROB LINGELBACH, TIG MAESTRO !

1060 subscribers in 41 countries on Wed Nov 17 02:16:20 CST 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com