Re: 2K

Rob Lovejoy wrote:

>  [...]   The most striking thing about the unit is the way secondary color
>correction is handled.  Up till now, selecting a hue to modify simply
>changed the hue.  Now, the hue you select becomes a matte!  Within the
>matte, you not only have your traditional phase and chroma adjustments,
>but RGB balance control as well!  Additionally, the mattes are
>qualifiable by a variety of factors (luminance, chroma, etc.) each with
>their own softness.  This gives us a lot more control of the image than
>was possible with previous settings.  [...]

As somebody who recently installed a daVinci 2K in a facility, I'd like to offer
a few comments, which will hopefully not dampen your enthusiasm too much.

First off, the 2K is an incredible piece of equipment.  On five reasonably sized
boards, they've managed to pack enough electronics to do their magic in most
flavors of HD--including a few that weren't originally on the ATSC's list--as
well as SD.  When I was in electrical engineering school (in the late '70s),
most
of what we learned was discrete transistor and small scale IC stuff.  A "2K"
designed with such components would probably contain hundreds of boards
filling several racks, and of course be entirely uneconomical.   Even with the
ASICs and DSPs of a few years ago, you'd still end up with a box several times
the size of daVinci's previous color corrector, the 8:8:8.  A new generation of
technology is upon us, and the 2K is a tour-de-force.

On the other hand, my recent d2K experiences confirm that things are not
altogether rosy in the future.  It took several board exchanges to get the
system
stable, which it thankfully is now.  At all times, daVinci was extremely
cooperative
and helpful, and downtime was kept to an absolute minimum.  The product is new
enough to still have a few growing pains, so I don't want to protest too loudly.

There are some other things about the d2K that may get on your nerves.  A
number of smaller details await completion in the hardware, which can make
system integration a bit treacherous.  The "NUI" (whatever that is) differs from
"DUI" in some seemingly gratuitous ways.  Even the control panels are somewhat
different, and I for one have no idea why.  One would think it would be a major
selling point to offer facility managers a flat learning curve for colorists who
learned the previous systems, but no soap.  Was anybody in Ft. Lauderdale
thinking about this when, for example, the "Clear" key was placed where the
"Save" key is on the previous systems?

Anyway, best of luck!

Christopher Bacon
(Usual disclaimer)

---
Thanks to ITK for support in 1999
1059 subscribers in 41 countries on Tue Oct 19 16:24:59 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com