Re: His travels

On 1999-08-19 at 19:43, Martin Greenwood (martin at pandora-int.com) wrote:

Martin Greenwood sent the following to me and it certainly is germane
to a couple of current discussions here.  I think though in the
interest of fairness any other manufacturer of color correctors is
welcome to respond once to this same issue.  This message can come
very close to marketing, but as it is certainly informative about a
current discussion, I thought I'd let it through.  (incidentally, as a
result, Joe Moore will have a busy Monday :]).  However, to keep
ourselves in a civil and low-noise mode, I welcome the chance to
screen such other responses from manufacturers personally; please send
them to me first, thank you.

--Rob
TIG admin

> This is in response to some recent questions on the TIG about Pandora
> stuff, from a Pandora person!

> Tape to tape is still a very important part of colour correction.
> Pandora MegaDef can easily be fitted with both SDTV and HDTV i/o to allow
> 'downstream' operation. So in one room you can work with all possibilities.
>
> There are advantages to being upstream, other than the obvious one of
> bandwidth.
>
> One compelling timesaving reason to be 'upstream' is for multi-format work.
> A single colour correction event list can be created that can be used for
> Data, HDTV or SDTV transfer. Any corrections and effects will be identical
> on any current of future version.
>
> Another reason is operational. Previously in a session the colourist would
> size or frame the image, then colour correct it. Now sizing and colouring
> can be repeated in any order.
> For example, work full frame, light the shot with MegaShapes, then resize
> the image.
>
> Also being upstream allows the MegaDef to be easily used for real-time Data
> transfers.
>
> All these points are possible because the MegaDef is before the Spirit or
> Spectre spatial convertor.
> The MegaDef is always running at 2k x 2k RGB 14bit progressive.
>
> Also note that whether upstream or down stream, the MegaDef adds no frame
> delay to the system, so it does not suffer from or add any lag.

> I cannot compare, as do not know the details of the DaVinci stuff.
> However here is a short technical description of the Pandora Pixi and
> MegaDef architecture.
>
> Pixi and MegaDef systems both have the same creative controls.
> The difference is MegaDef allows upstream and downstream operation, whilst
> Pixi allows only downstream operation. (Pixi is upgradable to MegaDef)
>
> Inputs SDTV, HDTV and 2K data.
> Formats RGB or YUV, Lin or Log up to 14bits.
>
> Mega1 layer.
> Mega1 works over the full image area providing :-
> Full primary with soft clipping.
> Master HSL controls.
> Hue and Saturation washes.
> Black and White desaturation.
> Six channel vector based colour corrector.
>
> Mega2 layers.
> Inside each layer there are three channels.
> Each channel works on parts of the image depending on the it's isolation.
> The isolation is built of a shape COMBINED with hue, saturation and
> luminance before it is used.
> Without this combination effects would be foreground only. With it, they
> can be foreground and background. This is a very powerful feature.
>
> For example, a grad can be built that only effects the blue (or grey) sky.
> It will disappear behind the rest of the scene. This is because it can work
> on only certain colours.
> When the image moves the shapes does not need to be changed.
> Or clouds can be added to a sky, that disappear behind the mountains. All
> without redrawing or marking in frame by frame.

> [...]

1061 subscribers in 41 countries on Sun Aug 29 06:48:15 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com