Re: Digi_Cinema, more thoughts

> > All that success is fueling an engine that so far has been
> > unstoppable.  Broadcasters have to provide an experience that is
> > incomparable to anything else, in order to remain competitive.
>
> Call me crazy, but I would think that the experience that must be provided
> is programming that viewers want to watch, not an improved image on
> programming they're not interested in.
>
> Mike Most

Mike brings up a good point.  And to the end of better programming DTV offers
the ability to do new types of programming that are not possible with the
current NTSC format.  The best use of a DTV may not be HDTV.  For sports
broadcasts I think the extra resolution is real benefit and one that a
significant segment of the market will appreciate.  But, I do not think we need
HD resolution to watch situation comedies and talk shows.  A better use of the
bandwidth in many cases is not a higher resolution image but enriched or
supplemented content- interactive TV- or information on demand.  A new paradigm
of programming is possible with DTV and that is where things are headed.
Convergence is going to happen one way or another.

-Robert Luciano

1057 subscribers in 41 countries on Tue Aug 24 20:47:53 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com