Re: Digi_Cinema, more thoughts

Ron Martin <ron at dvcc.com> wrote:
> I do not think that consumer acceptance is going to stop HD from
> happening, it may slow it down (alot!) but it will happen because it
> makes to much sense to protect future markets, and, for crying out load,
> it looks so much better than 525!

Ron, if you are talking about the use of HD technology for theatrical
presentation, I agree in the sense that I believe that's where it belongs.
Not over the air, into the consumer's living room. Yes, it looks better. So
what? How many average viewers have ever seen 601 video on a studio monitor
(in other words, seen 601 at its best)? I agree that DTV is a great advance
that's in the consumer's interest -- that's Dtv, not HDtv. I also like 16:9
as a shooting frame. But let me put it this way: Everyone has a car.
Everyone's car gets them where they need to go. You can buy a Corolla for
about $14,000. Or you can buy a Mercedes S-class for about $80,000. How many
people ***need*** an $80,000 car? For the Corolla buyers, maybe they want to
move up to a 3 series BMW for about $28,000. That should be the choice --
DTV broadcast, improved reception, improved sound, possibly progressive scan
picture (480p), widescreen. What I don't understand is why we need to tell
everyone they have to throw away their Corolla and buy the Mercedes.

Mike Most

1056 subscribers in 41 countries on Tue Aug 24 19:39:23 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com