Re: Consumer Reaction To Digi-Projection (seriously)

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:20:58 -0700, you wrote:
>Pity the poor consumer:
>If we could truly deliver SD-DTV,
>then I'll bet many people would not believe the extra increment to HDTV to
>be worth the significant extra money. I harbor a profound suspicion that
>it's only because companies like my lame-ass cable provider send out such a
>sorry representation of NTSC that HD is really even an issue. Again: a
>significant improvement could be made for a lot less $$$ than tooling up
>for HD.

Exactly.  Precisely. Truer words have not been spoken.  Etc.

Most civilians who stumble into any post center showing a good 601 transfer
on a good monitor in component mode believe they ARE watching HD.

The sorry-ass cablecos and the "let's have Cletis the night trainee drop it
just one more composite generation so it's in a format convenient to US"
stations have done such a pathetically poor job, that, once coupled with
the beauties of composite NTSC, most images seen at home are no better and
usually much worse than that rental VHS movie played back through the $125
K-mart deck's channel 3 modulator.

HD is an ENORMOUS waste of money. It is being driven by the big
manufacturers' desire to sell all new gear to both us and the end user
(especially the end user).  Although competitively most of us will gear up
because the clients will demand it (whether they understand what it is or
not), It will be a *long* time before 35 inch or larger HD sets are bought
by anyone but the elite.

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE® compositing.

1056 subscribers in 41 countries on Mon Aug 23 19:02:27 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com