Re: Consumer Reaction To Digi-Projection

Tom wrote:

> I have observed all four of the e-cinema demonstrations to date. <snip>
 Not to rehash what has already been said, but the e-cinema version
> compared very favorably to the film version. It was actually superior with
> certain of the more demanding shots.

Just to add my two cents.  I sure wish I knew where these sealed
projection system theaters are that Christopher Bacon wrote about
because I have not seen a truly clean projection of a major motion
picture in some time.  To my observation as well,  while films
imaging capabilities have been steadily improving over the years, it
seems that print QC has been steadily declining.  The print I saw of
"Eyes Wide Shut", even given the DP's exposure and developing
tricks, was horrible.  Mismatched color between reels and filthy
tape splices at reel changes among other problems. And this in a
relatively new NYC multi-cinema with stadium seating  I think that
the general public will enjoy seeing a film show that is always in
focus, has no excessive gate weave, no track application stains,
no timing bumps in the opticals, no scratches, no dirt, etc. etc.

Alan

Alan B. Rosenfeld
General Manager
SMA Video
100 Avenue of the Americas
10th Floor
New York, NY 10013
Voice: 212.226.7474
Fax: 212.941.0439
www.smavid.com

1056 subscribers in 41 countries on Mon Aug 23 13:54:58 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com