Re: Information, Compression, and storage.

At 11:17 AM 7/7/99 -0700, Dave Tosh wrote:
>I have to disagree with Christopher's use of specific terms-- although I
>agree with the concepts he expresses.
>
>All current tape formats that use DCT based compression are lossy.
<SNIP,SNIP>

Thanks, Dave....you took the words right out of my mouth.
I recall some time ago on the TIG, the DCT compression of popular standard
def formats being compared to that lossless compression used to pack
computer files, i.e RLE, LZW, etc.
Your post helps to clarify this issue and points out what every video
professional should be familiar with.
I would suggest to anyone needing more clarification, to get a copy of
Peter Symes' book on compression.

Phil

Phil Mendelson
Senior VP, Engineering; Todd AO/Hollywood Digital
philm at hollydig.com
philm at deltanet.com
gigabaud1 at aol.com

"Animals are our friends.......but they won't take us to the airport."

---
Thanks to Rich Torpey for support in 1999
1047 subscribers in 41 countries on Wed Jul  7 13:30:03 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com