Re: More IP information please

<<I'm surprised that the general comment received about grading feature films
from an IP indicates that around 15 hours is all that is needed to do a
proper job using this film format.>>

Well, that may depend on the intended usage of the transfer master, and what
you mean by a 'proper job'. For example, I have done many 10-12 hour masters
from an IP that are used exclusively for advertising and marketing a film on
television prior to theatrical release. While these masters look very good
overall, they are little more than 1-lites with some of the bumps smoothed
out. Sometimes, that's all that is required. But when it comes time to master
a film for the home video/TV market, the process usually takes anywhere from
8 or 10 days to 3 or 4 weeks, and in some cases months. This of course
depends on many factors, and involves creating multiple versions formatted
for different markets. In most cases, the time involved has little to do with
the type of source element. By that I mean that the job doesn't take that
long just because we use an IP. A lo-con print can have many of the same
timing(grading)issues, and of course the pan/scan work involved is the same,
no matter which element is used. A much more determining factor is the
involvment of the filmmakers, as well as the speed and expertise of the
colorist.

David Bernstein
High Definition Telecine Center
Universal Studios

---
Thanks to Rich Torpey for support in 1999
1045 subscribers in 41 countries on Tue Jul  6 13:18:46 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com