Dailies

Dailies. Dailies, Dailies Step right up. How do you want them? How will
you get them? Which type of dailies is the question. This all depends on
who is setting the specs for the dailies transfer. Tonight I will go to
work here in New York City. As the film rolls off the cleaner and into
the telecine suite I will open the film flat box, set up the film on the
rank, and sit down behind the color corrector. The first thing I will
look for is there any instructions from anyone to help determine the
look of this job. The production house will send in requirements as to
tape format 3/4 Beta VHS copies sync sound dats requested etc. Some of
the DP s will send in special instructions as to the look they want.
Rich color crush the blacks etc. Some have even sent me samples of the
product to use as a reference. As toothbrushes, empty product packages
for color reference. Others will call to talk to me directly to help me
set the look they want. Some give me telephone numbers to reach them
should I have any questions. Some will call back in the morning to speak
to me after I have transfered the film. (Never have trouble with the
people that call and leave telephone numbers. Only once or twice in
years have I had to call them and wake someone up.)But its nice to know
that you can if you have to.
	All and any help is taken and given special attention to before
starting the transfer. Next come camera reports if supplied. These I put
in camera roll order and then staple them together and read. If the
reports contain any useful information as chip chart location on a
camera roll, transfer speed all of this information will be followed as
close as possible.
	But many times jobs come in with little or no information. I get either
camera reports or ones that are not filled out with more than the camera
roll number on the report.
	TODAY WITH A LOT OF PEOPLE SHOOTING 16 MM, WITH CAMERAS SET WITH THE
APERATURE FOR SUPER 16 MM. I DO NOT THE GET INFO IS THIS A REGULAR 16 MM
1:33 OR A SUPER 16 MM 1:66. NO INFORMATION AS TO TRANSFER SPEED.
SOMETIMES WITH SHOTS OF VIDEO MONITORS IN THE BACKGROUND.
	Dailies, Dailes what you get depends a lot on the information you send
to us. Nobody wants to do a job that will get a client call to the
office the next day.
	Ever get a job with instructions for "Dailies 1-lite with clean Beta
tape copy and a 3/4 with a burn with a Director dub from the Beta?
Now we all know that somewhere someone along the line from the ad agency
or the client will get to see the tape or this dailies tape will wind up
as a tape to tape selects or color correct job. Why else pay for a beta
clean.
	I talk to my people and tell them to put the chip chart in the scene.
Turn on a light on the chart then turn it off I will balance on it and
let the shot stand. If they are using a filter for an effect then drop
the filter in after a few frames so I will see the change and know what
is happening. Also a chip chart attached to a slate will do the trick,
as with the newer smart slates.
	Sometimes but not often I will get instructions for a true 1-lite pass
and then a second pass for edit. But not often.
So Dailies, Dailies, Dailies Step right up here I go another night. You
got to love this business to be in it, why else would you play Russian
Roulette with a 45 caliber automatic.
					Steve S

---
Thanks to Rich Torpey for support in 1999
1040 subscribers in 41 countries on Mon Jun 28 15:18:12 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com