Re: HD recorders

At 04:15 PM 6/27/99 +0200, Kris wrote:
>Mike (the Brit) Orton wrote:
>
>... but factor into the equation that
>> the Spirit is *not* full bandwidth on all 3 channels, although green will
>> be pretty good as a result of the 1920 Y samples....
>
>Hi Mike.
>
>Don't really see why green should be better. The Spirit does not sample
>YUV. It samples lum. at 1920 and RGB at 960. A full RGB signal is then
>derived from combining these. It does not become YUV before the very end
>of the signal path.

If I may interject.....the point, I think, is that due to the matrix
coefficients used (and the properties of visual acuity upon which they are
based), the luma channel is more weighted toward green, and vice versa.  So
considering that it is essentially a luma channel that is being sampled at
1920 pixels, it is the green channel that will benefit the most.'

Phil

Phil Mendelson
Senior VP, Engineering; Todd AO/Hollywood Digital
philm at hollydig.com
philm at deltanet.com
gigabaud1 at aol.com

"Animals are our friends.......but they won't take us to the airport."

---
Thanks to Rich Torpey for support in 1999
1038 subscribers in 41 countries on Sun Jun 27 15:20:50 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com