Telecine and the future????

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, "Martin Euredjian" <martin at hollydig.com> wrote:
>When used correctly these reference systems work well: TEC, Grey Card Plus,
>Gamma and Density, etc.  The problem is that more often than not the
>reference cards are not photographed in any condition that is relevant to
>what will be in front of the lens later.

How true!

Prior to Kodak's roll-out of Telecine Tools and the Gray Card Plus, we
interviewed colorists and cinematographers worldwide and conducted pre-
release trials of these systems.  Without exception, the colorists we spoke
with in the US told us, "Most of the gray cards I see are useless because of
the way they're shot."

Too often the gray card is treated like an MOS slate.  Dash in, bang off a
few frames and get out!  Shot that way, the card can never be a valid
reference for grading or exposure (transfer points).  Plus, it's very
difficult to place the card in practical lighting where it will reflect light
evenly or be a useful grading reference.

Much better to clamp the card to a c-stand, light it and shoot it separately.
That way the lighting can be controlled.  The card becomes an accurate
reference to indicate "normal" exposure, or provide a guide for the colorist
or film timer to preserve special lighting in an unsupervised session.

Intentionally overexpose or underexpose the card.  Shoot it with filters or
colored light.  Grading the card to neutral (nominal RGB values) gives you a
good idea of the lighting the DP tried to achieve.  About the only time you
might want the card in the scene is to force color correction -- like
shooting under fluorescent without a filter.  Grading the card to neutral
gray would warm the scene.

>15 June Geoff Boyle said:
>Using the Kodak grey Plus card and setting up to that for dailies give me
>flat uninteresting dailies but at least I can see what's happening!

I'm wondering -- in addition to the gray, did the dailies colorist also set
up on the light- and dark patches of the card?  They're there as a reference
for setting lift and gain, and to help establish the desired curve.

Don Ver Ploeg
Kodak consultant

---
Thanks to Cinesite for support in 1999
1040 subscribers in 41 countries on Sat Jun 19 12:14:31 CDT 1999
subscribe/unsubscribe with that Subject: to telecine-request at alegria.com